Food Safe Wooden Chopping Board Care
Your Oak and Personal wooden chopping board is made from kiln-dried European or English oak, and will contain a low level of moisture. This ensures the wood is as stable as possible with a minimal risk of cracking or warping. Wood is naturally hygroscopic, meaning that its moisture content varies depending on local humidity levels.
When you receive your board, it will have been comprehensively treated with Brandon Bespoke Wax Oil Treatment – a combination of natural oils and waxes. The treatment not only protects your board but enhances it too; the oil highlights the grain and the protective wax finish provides a subtle sheen. It primarily contains food-grade white mineral oil and beeswax, and along with other natural oils and waxes, provides solvent-free, 100% food-safe protection for wooden chopping boards. The finish, as well as protecting against bacteria, also inhibits the ingress of moisture which could result in cracking.
Natural Protection With Mineral Oil & Beeswax
In order to maintain the beauty and durability of your wooden chopping board it needs to be periodically oiled. Although we recommend a minimum of twice per year, the frequency depends on how often you use your board, but if the surfaces are damaged, have lost their waxy finish, are showing signs of dryness, cracking or are no longer smooth, they should be retreated immediately to avoid ingress of moisture and risk of staining. As your board is already finished with Brandon Bespoke Wax Oil Treatment we recommend retreating it with the same product. You can purchase Brandon Bespoke Wax Oil Treatment here.
Other wood treatments are available but care should be taken to ensure they are food-safe, and will adhere to the existing finish.
Follow these guidelines to ensure your board provides many years of service:
- Do wash the board with warm soapy water.
- Do oil the board regularly – you can not cause any damage by over-oiling.
- Do store the board on a flat surface (not on its edge).
- DO NOT leave items such as cheese on the board for long periods as the moisture can get into the wood and stains may develop.
- DO NOT leave items made from steel, such as food cans, on the board for long periods as the steel may react with the wood causing stains to develop – stainless steel is not an issue.
- DO NOT immerse the board in water or wash it in a dishwasher.
- DO NOT subject the board to significant changes in temperature, e.g. by placing it on a stove or radiator.
If you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us.
IMPORTANT If you have one of our boards purchased prior to June 2016 it will be finished with white mineral oil. Brandon Bespoke wax oil chopping board treatment may be used on your board and will add to the finish provided by the original oil. For boards purchased between June 2016 and September 2017, a food-safe danish oil, or the care kit supplied with your board may be used.